Printers, pens, stamps, envelopes … In this age of technology, these aren’t necessary to sign your tax return. If your life can be simplified and more secure, why shouldn’t it be?
To enhance the service we provide our clients, HBLA has automated the tax return delivery process with SafeSend Returns™ technology effective the first Quarter of 2019. Our delivery and your review and signature of the 2018 federal and state individual income tax returns can be completed from the convenience of your computer, smartphone, or tablet. No printing or mailing necessary!
Watch Video on SafeSend to Learn More
User-friendly and highly secure, SafeSend Returns is an easier way to review and sign your tax return. The process is simple: Verify your identity, enter an access code, and follow the step-by-step instructions to review and sign your returns. A summary of the process is as follows:
- When your tax return is finished, you will be receiving an email from firstname.lastname@example.org
- HBLA will be indicated in the email.
- This email will have a safe link in it for you to click and access your tax return.
- You will need to provide the last 4 digits of your SSN and click “Authenticate”.
- You will receive an access code in a second email. Enter the access code in your browser and click “Continue”.
- You will see an overview of your return.
- Download the electronic file and review your tax documents, including any payment vouchers. The electronic file should be saved on your local computer for your records.
- After you have reviewed the returns, indicate if you wish to sign the e-file authorization electronically or if you wish to manually sign and return it to us via fax or email. We recommend the ease of the electronic signature.
- If you are signing electronically, follow the steps for completing the three to five questions that will confirm your identity.
- After signing the e-file forms, make any payments as indicated. If the taxing authority has online payment options, the website links will be provided. Or, you can choose to download and print the voucher and mail it with your check.
- This process can be completed on your computer, smart phone, or tablet that has internet access.
No problem. Find the answers to frequently asked questions below.
Email notifications will be sent from HBLA at email@example.com. We recommend adding this email address to your safe list to prevent the email from getting filtered to spam/junk.
Yes. SafeSend Returns offers a secure system to view and sign your e-file authorization form(s). Look for HTTPS:// at the beginning of the site URL and a locked padlock symbol in your browser’s URL bar to confirm you are on the secure site.
Check your spam/junk email folder. You can also search your email for firstname.lastname@example.org. Some email platforms hide items they’ve labeled spam or junk, making certain emails difficult to find. If you do not receive your code within the 10-minute time limit, please request another code.
The questions SafeSend Returns ask are ‘knowledge-based” questions (KB) pulled from government and credit sources. You may be asked questions such as where you lived in a given year, or when you bought your car or home. In the event the questions do not apply to you, simply choose the answer that accurately reflects this. If you don’t remember the answers to the questions, or you answer incorrectly, you won’t be able to electronically sign your e-file authorization form(s). You can instead print, sign, and return your e-file authorization form(s) to HBLA.
Will this work on any internet-connected device? Does SafeSend Returns offer an app for my smartphone?
The signature process can be completed on any computer, smartphone or tablet via any web browser. Currently, there is no SafeSend Returns app available.
Yes. You can always download your returns to your personal computer, review electronically, sign electronically, and print to a local computer. However, some smartphones or tablets may not allow download access.
SafeSend Returns allows you to electronically sign your e-file authorization form(s), but it won’t submit your return to the IRS. Once electronically signed, HBLA is automatically notified, and we will then complete the filing process for you, including submission to the IRS.
For spouses filing jointly, there are three ways to sign via SafeSend Returns:
- If both spouses have a separate email address on file, both will receive an email with a link to view the return and sign the e-file authorization form(s). First, one spouse will receive the link with identity verification questions specific to him/her. He/she will sign the e-file authorization form(s) and input the spouse’s email address, which will send an email link to the second spouse. The second spouse will answer identity verification questions specific to him/her and then sign the form(s).
- If only one spouse has an email address on file, that spouse will first receive the link with identity verification questions specific to him/her. He/she will sign the e-file authorization form(s) and then enter an email address for the second spouse. The second spouse will then receive the email link with identity verification questions specific to him/her. Once the second spouse electronically signs the e-file authorization form(s), HBLA will be automatically notified that signing is complete.
- If a couple shares an email address, the primary signer will first receive a link with identity verification questions specific to him/her. After the primary signer signs the e-file authorization form(s), he/she then enters the shared email address again. A new link will be sent with identity verification questions specific to the second spouse.
HBLA will deliver your dependent’s return using SafeSend Returns. However, most dependents may not have sufficient government and financial data available to successfully complete the KB electronic signature process. Therefore, HBLA will generally deliver the e-file authorizations for manual signature.
While an electronic signature is certainly easier and more convenient, you can still print, manually sign, and either mail or fax your e-file form(s) back to HBLA if you’d prefer to do so.
After signing my e-file authorization form(s), will I receive confirmation that it was successfully submitted?
Yes, once you electronically sign your e-file authorization form(s), you will receive an email stating it was successful. The email will also include a link to download a copy of your tax return for your records.
If estimated payments are included in your return copy, you will automatically receive an email reminder seven days before your payment is due.
In limited circumstances, you may need to print and mail information to government authorities. Common examples include estimated tax payment vouchers and local income tax returns. If forms need to be printed and mailed, you will receive clear instructions. If available from the federal, state or local governments, you will also be provided options to make tax payments electronically if you prefer not to mail payments.
Still have questions about SafeSend Returns?